Thursday, March 29, 2012

Surprise Art Class

Two days ago I looked out our window and saw half a dozen shy looking boys sitting on our back lawn. When I went out to talk to them, they sheepishly asked if they could come inside to paint. Happily, I invited them all in. Over the course of the next hour more kids showed up and the numbers doubled to about 15. Some of them had been up to paint before and for others this was their first time. They were all laughing and talking as they past around paint. Some of them were discovering painting for the first time. My favorite part of the evening was when one of the boys, little tag along brothers, got a hold of some-ones discarded paint palette and quietly decided to paint his face.
 As I told the new comers about how the project worked and how it would help with school fees their eyes got big and they got really excited. One boy in particular, who had been out of school for a year but desperately wanted to go back, was very eager and painted some of the best art work I have seen so far. I was surprised to find out this was his first time painting. The children here are so talented, the master pieces they create the first time they pick up a brush would amaze you. Their art work is so colorful and happy and depicts vibrantly their surroundings and life! I can not wait until I can put them up so you  can all see them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment